According to Emma Boyd, "business schools are responding to a surge in demand for education that equips students to become social entrepreneurs." In this video, David A. Thomas, Dean of the McDonough School of Business, discusses his views on regulation, public policy, environmental issues and its impact on MBA students. Dean Thomas indicates that the focus in this area is coming from enlightened business leaders. MBA students learn how to work with regulators and integrate creating social value into business organizations.
School of Business Administration
At Wayne State University School of Business Administation, Dr. Tangari focuses on providing graduate MBA business students with a skill set in sustainable business practices. Tangari explains that "business and sustainability issues touches on every business discipline. MBA students need to discuss how businesses examine the ways in which their practices influence the environment and society. Further, these MBA students must investigate how business can respond to environmental concerns and external regulatory pressures. MBA students address these issues and examine how organizations can be responsible to the environment while being profitable.”
Objectives for MGT 7950 include:
- Examination of the impact of business on the environment
- Development of business practices that benefit both the environment and profitability
- Analysis of the advantages and risks of implementing sustainable strategies
- Exploration of how sustainability issues relate to all parts of an organization and how to address them
Providing graduate MBA business students with a skill set in sustainable business practices is Andrea Tangari specialty. Dr. Tangari is an assistant professor of marketing who earned her doctorate in marketing specializing in the area of marketing and public policy. She focuses on the effects of "green" labeling on consumer preferences and buying behavior.
If you are interested in these issues, consider enrolling in MGT 7950.
- "MBA students see the business sense in both doing well and doing good," Emma Boyd, May 5, 2013, Financial Times. Article available at ... http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/5ad6c4ae-b0da-11e2-80f9-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2U1jdNBMN
- MGT 7950: Business and Sustainability. More Information is available at ... http://business.wayne.edu/news.php?id=9877&date=2012-09
- David A. Thomas, Dean, McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University. Profile available at ... http://msb.georgetown.edu/leadership