ISM 5994: Software Tools for Business Applications
Engage With Content Creation
What is this 'Software Tools' course all about? This course advances the web design and development skills of the student. These skills will enable graduates to effectively compete for employment, assist co-workers with technical application questions, and train others in the use of various productivity, video, and social media tools. Please play this short 5 minute video to learn more about what you will learn in ISM 5994. I will ask for your email address in the video - you don't have to provide it, but if you do, we can stay in touch.
Rationale for This Course:
Students focused on becoming information professionals will be employed in organizations competing in an environment that is rapidly shifting toward internet usage. This environment is characterized by rapid change, voluminous data, and complex dynamics. It demands individuals skilled in inbound information technology tools and techniques.
This course is intended to advance the web design and development skills of the student. The student will create and maintain their customized website. Their website highlights the various skills and competencies that they will have mastered by featuring integrated presentation of projects completed in this course. These skills will enable graduates to effectively compete for employment, assist co-workers with technical application questions, and train others in the use of various productivity, video, and social media tools. This course does not require any technical knowledge beyond the basics.
Each student designs and develops their individual website on Ilitch School of Business servers. The following topics are covered in this course:
- Web Page Development: Utilize standards-based HTML 5 mark-up elements in order to create content for the web.
- Presentation: Create external, embedded, and inline style sheets to separate and control the presentation and navigation of information to be displayed on the website.
- Data Capture and Sharing: Leverage standards-based approaches to capture data via forms and share data using various controls.
- Design: Utilize standards-based practices to ensure usability of websites. Create vector-based images for use across devices.
- Video/Audio: Create and embed various video and audio streams into a web page.
Description of Student Learning Outcomes:
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- articulate the fundamentals of standards-based website design;
- demonstrate the various methods for and benefits of keeping content, presentation, and interactivity separate on a web page;
- demonstrate the various usages and benefits for bringing in dynamic data to the website;
- describe the impact and implication of standards-based web design;
- incorporate functionality into websites using client-side scripting languages;
- effectively use debugging tools and techniques to troubleshoot, find, and fix errors;
- competently utilize web authoring design and development tools;
- integrate advanced HTML 5 markup features to make an effective user interface for the website;
- apply and integrate multimedia (video and audio) into the website;
- expand the student’s ability to think and reason rigorously;
The course is delivered in an online format using:
- Lecture Presentations
- Project Demonstrations
- Additional Multimedia Content
- Related Reading Material
- Relevant Website Resource Links
Evaluation of Student Performance:
The student’s performance is evaluated using:
- Creation of a personalized, responsive, standards compliant website
- Completion of assigned projects
ISM 5994 is a required course for the certificate.
Click on the "Enroll in ISM 5994" button to "Find Course Text Books | View Evaluations for ISM 5994 Instructors" and to see when/where the course is offered.