Explore the project manager (IT) career opportunities.
What they do
What exactly do Project Managers (IT) do?
"Project managers in information technology (IT) are tasked with planning certain types of projects within a company and ensuring that they are executed and on-track through every stage of the process. This job may require daily evaluations of employees, as well as leadership and motivation, in order to achieve particular goals.
IT project managers must ensure that employees have the same shared vision and goals for projects while being assigned specific duties. Problem-solving may be necessary when projects are not going as planned, and they are usually given budgets for projects and must ensure that all parties involved are adhering to financial limits.
These project managers oversee projects until they are finished, and evaluate them to determine whether follow-up projects are necessary and what changes can be made for the future. This job may also involve overseeing various personnel and departments to ensure their collaboration. Some positions require certification, such as project management professional certification, and a bachelor’s degree or higher in information technology, computer science, or a related field may also be required. As this is a leadership position, many years of relevant experience are often necessary, and past leadership skills and duties should be demonstrated."
What tasks they perform
- Assist technical team in design and development tasks.
- Utilize software life-cycle methodology.
- Create and maintain a information technology project plan that communicates tasks, milestone dates, status and resource allocation.
- Coordinate delivery of development (beta) and production releases that meet quality assurance standards.
- Assist test team in creating test plans and testing efforts.
What their career path could be
Explore the following chart to view the various career paths for project managers.[fa icon="chevron-up"]
How much they earn
"The following chart lists the yearly wage chart for project managers."
- Project Manager description: http://payscale.com/Job=Project_Manager
- "Video Production" Image at https://pixabay.com/en/ used under Creative Commons C00 (https://pixabay.com/en/service/terms/#usage)